- 3 bags Tetley Chai Latte Classic
- 1 cup (250 mL) low-fat milk
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices of panettone or brioche, 1 cm thick
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Fresh fruit ½ cm diced, eg strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, mango
• Cut open 3 Tetley Chai Latte bags and sprinkle the contents into a shallow bowl.
• Microwave the milk, on HIGH, for 90 seconds or until scalding; pour into the bowl.
• Stir, then leave to steep for 5 minutes.
• Whisk in the eggs, maple syrup, vanilla and salt.
• Set a large, non-stick frypan over medium heat; brush lightly with some of the oil.
• Working in batches, soak the bread in the Chai latte and milk mixture for about 20 to 30 seconds per side and transfer to the frypan.
• Cook for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden. (Keep the prepared French toast in a warm oven between batches).
• Serve with fresh fruit and additional maple syrup to taste.
- This recipe is a great way to use up day old bread as a replacement for panetonne.
- Honey could be used instead of maple syrup Tetley Chai Latte Vanilla can be used as a substitute for the Tetley Chai Classic, but omit the vanilla extract in this case Reduce the fat content of this recipe by using 5 egg whites instead of 4 whole eggs and spraying the pan with non-stick spray instead of brushing with oil.
- Look for panettone that is star shaped to look extra special on the plate, usually available at Italian grocers.